Monday 29 April 2013

Tiers of Joy

As I sit and wait for time to pass by in the usual ritual of waiting at hospitals I thought if take my mind away and pen down some thoughts that have arisen today as a result of a text debate that almost felt heated between myself and a mate.

Tiers.

Guaranteed to get a different response from every gamer depending on their army and experiences and the meta they play in.

I thought I'd break down my ranks based in my armies.

First, from my Tomb Kings perspective:

Lizardmen
Dark Elves
Skaven
--------
Demons
Wood Elves
Ogres
--------
Orcs and Goblins
Empire
--------
Beastmen
Bretonnia
WoC infantry

So why the top tier? Lizardmen, skaven and dark elves can easily own the magic phase and that's just something that TK need to be able to do almost uncontested! That skinks and RXBows can with our fragile troops down with ease makes it even worse. Lizardmen are top as you can tell from my batreps, they're really touch to beat in combat once they get their inevitable buffs up!

Bottom tier? May surprise a few, but the tomb guard halberd horde lists I run generally eat brets and WoC infantry lists for breakfast and I find I can hold the Beastmen back long enough to whittle them down!

In between ate the armies that give me grief but can be overcome with a solid gameplay and the usual tk tactic of...luck

So from an ogre perspective:

Lizardmen
Skaven
WoC
Dark elves
--------
Orcs n Goblin
Demons
--------
Empire
Tomb kings
Beastmen
--------

--------
Keep going....
--------
...wood elves

Top tier again can chew through me. Skinks don't care for toughness and the combat buffs can really wreck your day! Not to mention the panic inducing sallies!

Skaven can be intense and WoC can blend you into a froth!

The bottom is the lonely wood elves who I can always seemingly get into combat and mulch far to quick!

Ogres don't have easy though which bore the focus of my aforementioned text conversation! There's just too much access to death magic and cannons now. Ogres were top tier when they came out but empire do everything ogres do...but better or cheaper and have now of the drawbacks (low as, low I). Then WoC came and did it even better (skullcrushers and chariots spam...not to mention unkillable lords and DPs)

Now the next one is how I anticipate looking at it from a high elves perspective:

Lizardmen
Skaven
Empire
--------
Tomb Kings
WoC
Orcs and goblins
--------
Dark elves
Beastmen
--------
Bretonnia
Wood elves
Demons

The big #mayGWwhine is that the banner of the world dragon will be bent and will make HE vs demons an obsolete worthless match up...oh noes!

Brets will still get dicked on by white lions and wood elves won't be able to wound shit with their magical attacks meaning one of the few lists that wood elves could reliably win has gone!

The usual suspects will still put a dint I the all important magic phase though! We don't appear to have any spells that can bounce through armies with lots of drops and that is gonna make it STILL tough against lizzies and skaven!

You'll notice I've missed out chaos dwarves and vampires from these rankings...I really haven't played against them enough to get an honest feel for them...

Overall...lizzies, skaven and dark elves are still top...(the 7th ed filth hangover), followed by the 8th ed top of WoC, ogres and empire. Orcs, brets and vamps are sitting pretty in the middle and everyone is being propped up by woodies, tomb kings and Beastmen!!

1 comment: